Community Post: Remembering Victoria Beckham’s Music Career
1. Most people know Victoria Beckham best as Posh Spice in the Spice Girls.
2. Or mother of four and and wife to David Beckham.
3. In recent years, she’s taken her “Posh” look and turned to the fashion world, where she’s been well-received.
Since leaving music, she’s almost tried to deny her interest in it. “I’m done with music and I’m never going to act,” she said in 2006. “I was an okay singer and an okay dancer and I had to work at it. I never want to act. Fashion is what I love. I’ve dreamed of doing my own clothing line even before I was a Spice Girl. Now I can do what I love and I’ve found that I’m really good at it.’
4. But her attempt at a successful music career was much more storied than she implies…
5. Beckham released her first single “Out of Your Mind” with the band True Steppers & Dane Bowers in 2000.
It lost the charts race in Britain to Spiller’s song “Groovejet (If This Ain’t Love)” featuring Sophie Ellis-Baxter.
7. In 2001, Beckham released her only full album to date.
According to the BBC, it “cost a reported £5m to produce but only managed to sell about 50,000 copies.”
8. Her biggest single off of it was “Not Such An Innocent Girl.”
The video is amazing: There is a “good” futuristic version of her (in white) and “bad” one (in black, natch).
9. Also this happens.
10. The lack of success of “Not Such An Innocent Girl” has been blamed on Beckham’s chart battle with Kylie Minogue, who released her hit “Can’t Get You Out of My Head” on the same day.
Beckham also released the single “A Mind of Its Own” off this same album. Victoria Beckham peaked at number three on the British charts. She was soon dropped by Virgin records, though her spokesperson released a statement that said, “No-one has been dropped. The Virgin deal has come to a natural end and both parties have decided not to continue.”
11. In 2002 she signed to Telstar records for £1.5 million and started working on another pop album.
Only one single was released, and though the rest of the album was leaked, Telestar never released it.
12. Damon Dash tried to help add an “urban sound” to her music.
Dash said he wanted to work with her, “Because I see how much she gets photographed [in America].”
13. The planned “Come Together” sampled The Beatles and George Michael.
Dash rap/talked at the top of the title track, “I know y’all been hearing I’m working with Victoria Beckham aka Posh Spice. I know y’all thinking this doesn’t really make sense. How’s he going to turn a pop star into a real rock star? And also I hear a lot of people saying you’re going to get her to rap, and all kinds of other dumb shit like that. Well that’s not going to happen. And don’t ever worry about me doing something. Whatever I do is going to be hot.”
The critics hated it.
14. “Come Together” was never released and in 2004, Telstar went backrupt.
Beckham moved into fashion almost exclusively when her musical attempts failed.
15. She’s made limited returns to music, like the Spice Girls reunion tour in 2007.
16. Or their appearance at the Olympics in 2012, which she spent looking appropriately model-y.
17. She recently denied that she would be going on tour with them to Australia in 2014.
“Her future focus concerns her family and fashion business,” said her spokesperson.
18. Which makes sense: after all, that’s how she started.
Read more: http://buzzfeed.com/kdries/remembering-victoria-beckhams-music-career
Leave a Reply