27 Ways Britney Spears’ Career Could Have Been Totally Different
1. Britney almost played Allie in the The Notebook.
In this interview from 2001 (fast-forward to 28:13) with Mr. Blackwood, Britney talks about a movie that’s a love story with “the most amazing script” she ever read. She says they already casted it but she really wants the part. She was talking about The Notebook.
2. Paul Walker was supposed to be in the “Sometimes” video.
This video is hilarious. Fast-forward to 6:23. Britney talks about filming her new video and the love interest in it. “It’s the guy from Varsity Blues. It’s not James Vanderbilt, it’s the hunk in the movie. His name is Paul Walker.” THE SHADE.
4. “I’m a Slave 4 U” was written for Janet Jackson.
It was intended for her All for You album.
5. “Boys” was also written for Janet Jackson. Her version was called “Boyz.”
WITH A Z.
6. “Umbrella” was written for Britney.
Britney passed and the song (obviously) went to Rihanna.
7. There is an unreleased album called Original Doll.
On Dec. 31, 2004, Britney went on KISS FM and said that she had a new album coming out in the following year called Original Doll. They then went on to play the song “Mona Lisa.” As of right now, the only song we know that was supposed to be on that album was “Mona Lisa.” Britney wouldn’t release an album until 2007’s Blackout. She went through a lot of hard times during the following two years, which is why the album was probably scrapped.
8. Britney could have played Dawn in I Heart Huckabees.
David O. Russell acknowledged that he auditioned Britney for the role of Dawn in an interview at the Tribeca Film Festival. He also said that if he could work with anyone, it would be Britney.
9. There is reportedly a music video for “When Your Eyes Say It.”
The song was supposed to be a single after “Don’t Let Me Be the Last to Know.” A music video was directed by Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris. There is an entry for it on the music video database website.
10. There was supposed to be a music video for “Hot As Ice.”
This is an excerpt from a 2008 OK Magazine interview with the manager of Millennium Dance Studios: “She’s incredibly focused now,” explains Robert Baker, owner of Millennium Dance Studios, where Brit has been refining her dance moves for the upcoming video shoot for her song “Hot As Ice.”
11. Melissa Joan Hart could have been one of Britney’s friends in Crossroads.
Can you imagine Crossroads without Taryn Manning or Zoe Saldana?!?!?! I CAN’T. In this interview, Melissa Joan Hart said she had read the script and was going to go in for a meeting with the producers.
12. At the infamous 2007 “Gimme More” VMAs, Britney was supposed to sing a song called “Cry.”
People magazine reported that Britney was going to open the show with a song in addition to “Gimme More” called “Cry.”
13. Britney was supposed to play the angel mom in Little Nicky.
A story published in a 2000 Guardian article said, “A role in the Hollywood movie, Little Nicky, had to be turned down because Britney was too ‘tired.’” Reese Witherspoon played the angel mom instead.
14. Daft Punk was supposed to work with Britney in 2002.
In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Britney talked about meetings with Daft Punk. She said, “Mainly, I’ve just been having meetings with people to hear their stuff to see if I want to work with them in January. I met up with some really hot producers, William Orbit and Daft Punk, overseas.”
15. Everything with “Outrageous.”
One of the most painful things for Britney fans to talk about. For those who don’t know, Britney hurt her knee while filming “Outrageous” and the video was scrapped. They released 45 seconds of it on Britney’s greatest hits DVD. This clip is an extended version of the clip. In the video, she licks Snoop’s face. It’s unknown if Snoop had any other part in the video.
16. Britney recorded songs with Fred Durst. That means Britney/Fred Durst songs exist.
You have to read this hilarious anecdote from EW: “According to Durst, who was producing some tracks for Spears in January, he developed a crush on her and slipped her a love note. She responded by returning to the studio late at night in a ”see-through shirt with no bra” and invited him back to her house. As for what happened next, he quoted a lyric from one of his upcoming songs: ”Ain’t it funny, scared to admit it / Very first night made the Limp dog hit it.” Durst even blabbed about Britney’s fabled endowments; in the words of Seinfeld, ”They’re real, and they’re spectacular.”
17. The original concept for the “Baby One More Time” video was supposed to be an “animated Power Ranger-y thing.”
In her 1999 interview with Rolling Stone, Britney said: “They had this really bizarre video idea, this animated Power Ranger-y thing,” she explains. “I said, ‘This is not right. If you want me to reach four-year-olds, then OK, but if you want me to reach my age group…’ So I had this idea where we’re in school and bored out of our minds, and we have Catholic uniforms on. And I said, ‘Why don’t we have knee-highs and tie the shirts up to give it a little attitude?’ — so it wouldn’t be boring and cheesy.”
18. The Oops!…I Did It Again album was originally supposed to be called Sunflower.
The Britney album was supposedly supposed to be called Shock Your Mind.
19. Britney almost started a production company and signed JoJo.
According to JoJo, “I went backstage at a concert she was doing and her lawyer called me up and offered me a production deal with a company that she was starting.”
20. “I’ve Got That Boom Boom” was supposed to be the second single from In the Zone.
It was between “Outrageous” and “Boom Boom,” but Britney chose “Toxic.”
21. This “Break the Ice” remix featuring Fabolous was supposed to be the second single off of Blackout.
In an interview with OK Magazine, Fabolous said the song was supposed to be the second single featuring him.
22. Britney shot a Proactiv infomercial that never aired.
It was reported in 2005.
23. Pink, Natalie Maines, Faith Hill, and Jennifer Lopez were originally supposed to be in the 2004 Madonna VMA performance.
There were apparently conversations with all of them.
24. The original concept for the Femme Fatale album was songs like “Unusual You.”
Ryan Tedder of One Republic told E Online, “I know that ‘Usual You’ off the last album [Circus] has been tossed around like, ‘Use this as kind of a jumping off point.” CAN YOU IMAGINE AN ALBUM FULL OF “UNUSUAL YOU”S?!?!?!
25. Supposedly, the original concept of “Born to Make You Happy” involved a secret pregnancy.
This has been a rumor in the Britney community for a while now. According to Wikipedia, “The original concept was to portray Spears in a dream, lamenting over her ex-lover, by whom she was secretly pregnant with their child, but Jive immediately withdrew the idea once it was leaked to the public and received negative reception.”
26. In “Everytime,” Britney was supposed to commit suicide.
Rolling Stone reported: “Her concept was to die in an overflowing bathtub with pills and booze strewn around, and get reincarnated as a baby. There were demons that she was battling, and she wanted everyone to know. Jive insisted on a different method of death, so she ran away from the paparazzi before drowning in the tub.”
27. The real “Gimme More” video.
For years and years, it was a legend in the Britney community that there was an alternate version of “Gimme More.” Britney spent $30,000 of her own money on the video that included some sort of funeral scene. In 2011, this version leaked. It’s unknown if this is the final version or if there are more scenes. We may never find out.
H/t to this website for compiling a bunch of these. You should also take them with a grain of salt. Britney is a very mysterious entity.